Friday, July 15, 2016

Goodreads - A Treasure Trove for Avid Readers

SO I have never heard of Goodreads before this class and it is not surprising considering that I am a self-confessed non-reader in my circles of friends. So this week certainly provided an opportunity for me to understand a little bit more about this tool and see what it could have done for me. Went to the website, set up my account, browse around, and 2 hours later, my thoughts on the tool are:

1. Goodreads is HUGE - its has over 50 Million members, an archive comprises 1.5 Billion books and more than 50 Million book reviews that members can access, read, comment, ask questions, and discuss on. It is essentially a gigantic online community for avid readers to share content, perspectives, feelings and opinions on all things related to the books they have read, or want to read.

2. Goodreads CONNECTS - not just members to other members who share similar interests (based on reading preferences), but also members and their friends at a more micro-level. The tool lets you see what books your friends (or people in your specified networks) are reading, providing yet another social-networking opportunity to expand your interactions with one another. For people who are seeking to expand their Personal Learning Networks (PLNs), this can provide a great opportunity to do so!

3. Goodreads MANAGES KNOWLEDGE - in the sense that users can use its features to track the books that they had read, currently reading and want to read in future. Not just by the numbers, but also providing a system to manage and share the knowledge they create; via their reviews, insights, and perspectives. Goodreads is not just a Knowledge Management (KM) tool, it is also a blogging tool!

And of course, the premise for this tool to work for you is that you are an avid reader who also love to interact with fellow readers. Giving this tool a try then may be one of the best adventures you have taken in your life!




2 comments:

  1. I got into Goodreads a few years ago. I miraculously remembered my login information! I think I would love to use it more often when I am not in school, when I actually have time to read. The system of rating, friend connections, and easy to navigation are great features! I hope you stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, glad you have reconnected with Goodreads. I believe its a great tool if you can make full use of its utilities, but for me (a non-reader), it may not be too wise to invest my time into using it at this moment. You are right, perhaps when I get more time to read, it should serve me in a much better way!

    ReplyDelete