Tuesday, July 5, 2016

My Social Network Diagram

In this week's voicethread, Vanessa shared with us her Social Network Diagram, which I though was a very interesting and effective way to analyze one's degree of exposure on the social media space and areas where there might be context collapse. This has of course inspired me to look at mine, and this is how it looks like:

                                                                My Social Network Diagram

I think it is not surprising to see that Facebook forms the largest piece of my Social Network Diagram, and you could also say that it dominates the majority of my social media airtime. Being one of the earliest form of social network available in this digital age, I believe most people are connected via this platform, including myself who have families, friends, colleagues, classmates, past and present all in one huge network. Instagram, which totally overlaps with Facebook, forms the next piece of network that I belong to. Though not as big as Facebook, I think it is pretty sizable, and certainly increasing as I do frequently get "following requests" from people who are also within my Facebook network. Now Twitter, a network that I had purposefully set up for this course, is relatively small, and inevitably overlaps only a little with my Facebook network. Though I use Pinterest occasionally, I have not really connected with anyone via this platform, and that explains its isolation from the rest of the networks.

Well did you notice the two grey Snapchat and Periscope circles? Those are the new technologies that I may going to try this week, and potentially I can already see some overlaps there with my existing networks. 

So how does your Social Network Diagram look like? 

You may also have notice the green WhatsApp circle on the top right. Though WhatsApp is not really a social network, but a cross-platform mobile messaging app, I am inclined to put it there as I am a rather heavy user of this tool to connect and communicate with a lot of people. Who knows what the potential of this tool could be, considering that Facebook had just bought WhatsApp for $19 Billions not long ago? 





7 comments:

  1. Hey Dennis! Nice work on your social network diagram! Facebook is my primary social media platform that I used to connect with friends, families and colleagues, just like yours, it is my largest piece of the diagram. Next will be IG, which overlaps my FB. I have Snapchat but I didn't connect it to my Facebook or any other applications because I am using whatsapp and too many chatting platforms are too much for me to handle. I am keeping it as simple it is, just focus on one instead of many! I have got Twitter too, kind of overlap a little bit with FB but I have very few friends who use Twitter haha! I just created Pinterest and it is sync to my FB! I thought this diagram really gives us a better view of what we have and how each of the social media applications are linked to one another. #contextcollapse, we can start to identify where potential context collapse can occur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ernest. I always thought that Singaporeans are a lot more savvy with new social media tools, but I have increasing realized that we are not exactly that afterall, considering that the newer and popular tools such as Snapchat and Periscope had still not really caught on back home.

      Delete
  2. Hey Dennis! Nice work on your social network diagram! Facebook is my primary social media platform that I used to connect with friends, families and colleagues, just like yours, it is my largest piece of the diagram. Next will be IG, which overlaps my FB. I have Snapchat but I didn't connect it to my Facebook or any other applications because I am using whatsapp and too many chatting platforms are too much for me to handle. I am keeping it as simple it is, just focus on one instead of many! I have got Twitter too, kind of overlap a little bit with FB but I have very few friends who use Twitter haha! I just created Pinterest and it is sync to my FB! I thought this diagram really gives us a better view of what we have and how each of the social media applications are linked to one another. #contextcollapse, we can start to identify where potential context collapse can occur

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be heading to Pinterest next week ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dennis, great diagram to visually show us your social network. I am like you in that I use Facebook more than other social media. I have a variety of people on there as well including family and friends. Last night was my first time using Snapchat, so we will see what that entails and I'm going to try and tackle Instagram soon. I'm thinking I will probably get more use out of Instagram than Snapchat, but time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, I think it is granted that Facebook is the most heavily utilized network for people, considering its history, scale of connectivity and multiple features. Personally, I would prefer Instagram over Snapchat, perhaps due to more of my friends using the former. It is really meaningless without any friends or contacts to share your photos and videos with!

      Delete
  5. Hi Dennis,
    I find it interesting that you kept What's App completely separate from the other social networks. I completely understand why but even though it is not a social network, I would think it would overlap with your Facebook quite a bit. I know mine does. Thanks for sharing your diagram.

    ReplyDelete