Thursday, July 21, 2016

Google Maps - A Simple & Effective Tool for Collaborative Work

From the list of suggested tools this week, Google Maps has proved to be one of the more interesting and easy-to-use tools that I had ever tried my hands at. I think we are all pretty familiar with using Google Maps for checking directions, as well as mapping out the routes to reach our destinations. However, we had the chance to try something different this time round. In responding to Vanessa's challenge, we learned how to collaboratively build a map with a collection of annotations and descriptions of places we had visited for vacation. Some thoughts that I would like to share in relation to this particular experience are:

1. This collaborative activity might look simple, but it was extremely effective in allowing us to build a learning community for the class. As each of us contributed our portions, we each bring a different story, a different experience to the table, and we ALL learn from these diverse perspectives.

2. This exercise did not just allow me to learn more about my classmates, but also myself. By framing and drafting my contributions, I started to ask tough question about my own work, what is appropriate and whether the information is accurate to be shared with my classmates. To stretch it further, there is seemingly an inherent self-critique element in this nature of collaborative exercises.

3. As I read others' contributions, I tend have questions in my mind that I would like to explore further. Hence, from the instructional perspective, such collaborative activities definitely have the potential for peer-instruction to take place, if we are allowed to start asking questions and interacting with one another on the subjects. As "content-creators", using Google Maps in this manner can certainly encourage students to learn from each other.

4. We all read, contribute and learn at different pace. This collaborative activity precisely facilitates that. For example, when I logged in, there has been many of my classmates who had contributed their portions. As I read, I decide what to contribute, when to contribute, at my own pace. This certainly gives students the flexibility and convenience for learning, improving not just time efficiency, but also time management.

As a tryout, I also created my own map with pins of countries and cities that I had visited in my lifetime, with a short annotation for each place. I have also posted the link before, if you are interested!


Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1il34FCjjfSWC9U79bNplrEvFVgg&usp=sharing


If you share similar perspectives on Google Maps, or have other ideas about this tool, leave a comment and we can discuss about it!







No comments:

Post a Comment